Sunday, February 10, 2008

Stop Motion Collage



First off, you should probably click on this image to get a better view of it....

This is the picture of a collage I did using various photos that were originally intended to create a stop motion animation. The way the project formed was this: I stood in the street and took a picture of myself, then stepped once to my left and took another photo. I did this repeatedly so that when you string the images together in some sort of video it looks like the background is moving while I am standing still, a typical stop motion technique.

Since I am interested in thinking about ways to play with documentation in regard to the ephemeral aspects of live art, I created a new way to view the same information (at least I think its new).

I took about 40 of the pictures I created, kept them in order and sliced them into 5 equal sections. After that I took the first section of every frame and placed them (in order from first to last) next to each other. I then did the same for the second section, third section and so on, for each of the remaining pieces... make sense?

Well, the resulting image is the one seen above. I was hoping that this cutting up of documenting my side steps to the left would create some sort of new way to think about motion via documentation. What I like is that it ends up sort of creating the idea of motion through a still photo collage.

I was also trying to go for something visually interesting, which I think I did achieve.